Manufacturing Day (MFG DAY) is a national event in which manufacturers across the country open their doors to students, parents, administrators, teachers, and guidance counselors. This coordinated effort is designed to change public perceptions of careers in manufacturing, expand participants’ knowledge of manufacturing careers, and communicate the important role the manufacturing industry plays in the North American economy. The program also answers the following questions:
• What does a modern manufacturing facility look like today?
• What goods are produced by local manufacturers, and who buys them?
• What careers are available in the manufacturing industry?
• What skills and education are needed to succeed in today’s manufacturing jobs?
In West Michigan, MFG DAY is an activity of Discover Manufacturing — the regional manufacturing workforce initiative born from The Right Place / MMTC-West’s Manufacturers Council and MichiganWorks! Since a single day is simply not enough time to reach everyone in the community, in 2014, MFG DAY was expanded into a weeklong program called MFG WEEK in Michigan’s Region 4, with 8 local companies opening their doors.
This year MFG DAY is October 6th, and MFG WEEK spans October 2nd - 6th. If you are a manufacturer, there are several ways to join and support the initiative:
• Host an event. Show the community what manufacturing looks like today by opening your facility for tours.
• Visit a local school. Plan an activity day with students to discuss manufacturing in a fun and creative way.
• Promote Manufacturing Day to your network and employees through social media, flyers, and email marketing.
For more information, or to register your tour or event, visit Discover Manufacturing at discover-manufacturing.com.
Questions should be directed to Marlene Brostrom, Discover Manufacturing coordinator at DMcoordinator@westmichiganworks.org.