Defending a Country, Growing a Regional Economy
Michigan Aerospace and Defense Fast Facts
- Michigan is the nexus for autonomous auto, defense, robotics, aerospace and cyber security of mobility platforms.
- Michigan has more unclassified cyber nodes (available for training, certification, and commercial testing) than any other state in the nation.
- Michigan's talent pool and academic strength has bred a premier R&D culture leading the way in innovative and lightweight materials, engineering, advanced manufacturing and design.
- While the aerospace industry grew at 7% nationwide, it grew at 51% in Michigan - significantly outpacing both the national combined jobs growth rate and the national industry growth rate.
West Michigan Regional Overview
Experienced Industry Leaders
The federal government awards contracts totaling more than $500 billion annually, with a significant portion going to aerospace and defense. The Right Place collaborates with regional partners like the Michigan Defense Center to build relationships with the federal government on behalf of our region’s manufacturers. Those new to industry join a cluster that already includes such leaders as:
- GE Aviation – a leading global provider of electrical power systems, avionics, actuation and landing gear, aerostructures and propeller systems to the builders and operators of military and civil aircraft, from large transports to fighters, UAVs to armored vehicles, and from helicopters to regional and business jets
- L-3 – is an industry leader in the design, development, manufacture, assembly and test of military engines, transmissions, suspensions and turret drive systems.
- Woodward - integrates leading-edge technologies into fuel, combustion, fluid, actuation, and electronic control systems for the aerospace and energy markets.
- Precision Aerospace – performing machining, stamping, welding, assembly, testing, and extensive layout/inspection of medium- to high-complexity mechanical aircraft components and assemblies
- Eaton Corp. – a global technology leader in electrical components; hydraulics components; aerospace fuel, hydraulics and pneumatic systems; and truck and automotive drivetrain and powertrain systems
- Jedco Inc. – providing titanium fabrications; combustion chamber and iso-grid formed assemblies; heat shields; and transition, chem-milled augmenter, and exhaust nozzles/mixer ducts
The PTAC is serving a twelve-county region to provide government contracting technical assistance to regional businesses. Various other funding sources are combined to support the special needs of the business community and provide a single point of contact for companies seeking assistance. Specific assistance and more is provided in the following areas:
- One-On-One Counseling
- Government Registration Assistance
- Bid Matching (Create and attach brochure)
- Procurement Histories
- Specifications, Standards and Drawings
- Sub-Contracting Assistance
- State of Michigan Contracting Assistance
- Seminars, Training Events and Workshops
- Forms and Publications
Michigan Economic Development Corporation's Michigan Defense Center
The Michigan Defense Center identifies growth opportunities for Michigan businesses based on Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) needs. The Defense Center helps businesses access research and development (R&D) resources in universities, federal laboratories, and industry, in order to form strategic alliances and respond to new challenges in defense and homeland security.