Thad Rieder, Senior Business Development Manager at The Right Place Inc., has earned the designation of Certified Economic Developer (CEcD), a national recognition that denotes comprehensive knowledge in the field of economic development, professional attainment and a commitment to personal and professional growth.
The CEcD exam was administered by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
on April 8-9, 2017 in Washington, DC at the Washington Court Hotel. With 12 years of economic development experience, Thad Rieder has recently led several key economic development projects in West Michigan, including:
- California Closets, $5.7M capital investment, 61 jobs
- Attwood Marine, $2M capital investment, 80 jobs
- Poultry Management Systems, Inc. $2M capital investment, 27 jobs
- tesa tape inc. $20M capital investment, 15 new jobs
Thad also leads the West Michigan Innovation Cooperative, which focuses on identifying potential technologies, fostering the rapid commercialization of innovation, and sharing best practices in materials management.
The CEcD designation recognizes qualified and dedicated practitioners in the economic development field and sets the standard of excellence within the profession. Candidates must pass a rigorous and comprehensive examination, which has three parts and spans two days. The exam tests a practitioner’s knowledge, proficiency and judgment in the following key areas of economic development:
- business retention and expansion
- finance & credit analysis
- marketing and attraction
- strategic planning
- entrepreneurial & small business development
- managing economic development organizations
- neighborhood development strategies
- real estate development & reuse
- technology-led economic development
- workforce development strategies
As highly competent economic development professionals, Certified Economic Developers work with public officials, business leaders and community members to create leadership to build upon and maximize the economic development sector. Excellence in the economic development profession improves the well being, quality of life and opportunities for individuals, businesses and communities. There are currently over 1,100 active CEcDs in the United States.