Why West Michigan: Our Case in a Nutshell
Ask us about West Michigan and we could go on all day, but you need the answers now. Consider this your executive summary. We've included a collection of highlights and demographics that should give you a good idea why we think West Michigan is the Right Place for business.
For a deeper dive, download the West Michigan Overview brochure or give us a call at 616.771.0325
- Global Trade Magazine ranked Grand Rapids among the top 10 “Emerging Cities” in the US for global trade
- West Michigan's economy is the fastest-growing economy in the U.S.
- The Wall Street Journal recognized Grand Rapids as the 2nd best place to live in the United States
- Forbes named Grand Rapids the Best City for Raising a Family due to low cost of living and having a school system that ranks in the top third in the county.
- More than 130 international companies
- The world headquarters for such companies as Amway, BISSELL, Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Wolverine World Wide
- 8th largest biopharmaceuticals cluster in the U.S
- #13 among states for individuals in science & engineering occupations as a percentage of workforce
- The food & agriculture industry in Michigan contributes $91.4 billion annually to the state’s economy
Grand Rapids MSA Economic Overview
|Total Population (2016)||1,047,200|
|Growth Rate for Previous 5 Years||5.1%|
|Average Earnings (2016)||$52,900|
|Gross Regional Product (2016)||$68,676,322,844|
For more information, please visit our Data Center.
Centers of Excellence
With one of the country's most diverse industrial economies, many of the country's fastest growing industries can be found in West Michigan.
Citations Data source: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) / www.economicmodeling.com.