March 19th, 2020
DTE Energy Assistance Policies and Programs during COVID-19
In the face of the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, DTE is taking the following measures to help ensure every one of its customers has energy during this time.
In the face of the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, DTE is taking the following measures to help ensure every one of its customers has energy during this time:
- Shutoffs for non-payment will be suspended for low income customers (200% or less of Federal Poverty Level) through April 5th. This timing could be extended depending on the impact that the virus has on our communities.
- Customers enrolled in the DTE Senior Winter Protection Program have had their end dates automatically extended through May 3rd without additional actions required on their part.
- Note, all seniors (62 and older) are included in the Winter Protection Program unless they chose another payment option.
COVID-19 Payment Assistance Plans
- DTE is encouraging customers facing financial hardship or medical conditions as a result of the pandemic to contact us at 1.800.477.4747. We have a variety of payment programs and we have flexibility to work with you.
Medical Hold Policy
- DTE’s medical hold policy has been enhanced to include low income customers that are physically exposed, infected, or quarantined by the COVID-19 virus (including influenza) and deem them eligible for a 30-day medical hold on their account.
- Additional Low Income Assistance - Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP)
- DTE Energy's Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP) is a low, affordable payment plan for eligible income qualified families. This program allows customers to make affordable monthly payments based on income. The remaining portion of the bill is paid monthly with energy assistance funds. To be eligible for additional assistance you must have a State Emergency Relief (SER) funds approval. We work with local aid organizations like the United Way to support this funding.
Visit the DTE Energy website for more information.